Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

12 August 2013

Chicago Comic Con Memories!

 


The above snap shot of me (left) with a Boba Fett convention cosplayer from a few years ago reminds me of the fun and the frantic fandom of going to Comic Cons. I've missed them for the for one reason or another for some years now. I'm posting numerous pics below from a 2010 Chicago Comic Con my daughter Emily and I attended that was full of fun cosplay participants. Great memories!





There's much I love about Comic Cons: The cosplay fans who are so willing to strike a pose for anyone with a camera. The great art and freebies. The exuberance and excitement of the masses who desperately want to connect with their imaginary worlds and the artifacts that help them in that sacred mission. 

But it's that same aggregate of desperation that I've also learned will never fail to drain me. I tell my self that I'd like to pay for a table in artists' alley and sell some of my work and my books. But I haven't done it yet. The possible downside of having to sit in one spot as disinterested people walk by deters me. I guess I'm not that dedicated to the scene.
 

 
 

 
 
 
 

 
 

 
 

 
 
 



 

Still, I've had lots of great times at Comic Cons and met some wonderful artists and writers. One high point was meeting the writer Peter S. Beagle - most know for the book "The Last Unicorn". He impressed me by his genuine interest in our conversation and by his kindness to me as a fan.

I still have bags of buttons, comics, flyers and giveaways from past comic cons that I look through sometimes like hoarded treasure.

But I can't help thinking of the time I went to a con with my daughter and one of her friends. We had been there for most of the day seeing the sights of fantastic costumes and attractions. And then as I turned to those two young people with all their enthrallment with the surrounding ephemera and had a momentary vision of two lovely faces imbued with wonder, rosey youth and humanity and I thought to myself. "These two creatures are the most beautiful things in this arena".
 

 

No comments: