Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

19 May 2013

Personal Style




style drawingoriginally posted to my Tigrikor Flickr site.

The drawing above is of someone I saw at the library and I liked their style




The drawing at left is from a clothing ad that I saw in 1987

I was a fish out of water during the 70s. Blow-dried, long flippy hair was in vogue but I liked mine short. The 80s suited me best, I thought at the time. Short hair on the back and sides with long forelock action going on. And I loved the skinny ties and the retro look --the most recent incarnation of which is the "Mad Men" style popularized by the 60s era setting of a popular TV show about ad execs.

But I also like creativity and cross-purposing (not cross-dressing, pay attention) of style accents. I have fond memories of using a Boy Scout neck kerchief clasp as a belt buckle. And then there was a time, during my college years, when I commandeered a large black trashbag and made it into an emergency rain poncho with matching cap. Although, I've not been so extreme for a while, I still like to flip down the front of certain basic knit caps leaving the sides up thus creating a slight bill-like flourish.

As I've gotten older, I'm more interested in the quality of material of my clothes. And the fit. My hair is gone and my face has a lot more wrinkles but I am determined to stay trim and dress with some dignity. Upon having to acquire prescription glasses for the first time in my life, I chose frames that are on the trendy-ish side, being thick rimmed and black. They are like iconic, geek-style glasses that I've adopted as part of my style. I don't know how long I'll keep that going. But for now it suits me fine.

No comments: