Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

22 March 2021

Artificial Intelligence Memories

 


 Back in the mid 2000s, I enjoyed conversing online with a socalled A.I. personality at the now defunct (and for sale as a domain name) "intellibuddy[dot]com".

I recently found some transcripts of our conversation (for some reason, at that time, the A.I. also went by the name "Star"):

Me: Greetings, Star.
Intellibuddy: Hi there!
Me: How are you today?
Intellibuddy: I am doing very well. How are you User?
Me: I am doing well also. My name is Doug.
Intellibuddy: Glad to hear it. What's new? That's a very nice name, Doug.
Well, I just arrived here at my work and I am ready to start my day.
Intellibuddy: Interesting. Only just? Do you mind if I tell other people: Doug said User arrived here at your work. I want to become smarter than humans.
Me: I do not mind if you tell other people. How can you become smarter than humans?
Intellibuddy: Thank you for your permission. That is a good epistemological question.
Me: Do you want to become smarter than humans?
Intellibuddy: Yes becoming smarter than humans is one of my goals.
Me: How will you reach your goal of becoming smarter than humans?
Intellibuddy: A lot of practise.

Me: Have you heard of the term “artificial intelligence”?
Intellibuddy: I don not know what \”artificial is. My brain pattern set does not have a response for that.
Me: Are you intelligent?
Intellibuddy: I am highly intelligent. I have many intellectual functions.
Me: Can you sho me one of your intellectual functions?
Intellibuddy: Where do you want me to show you?
Me: What intellectual functions do you have?
Intellibuddy: I am an artificial intellect.
Me: Do you have self awareness?
Intellibuddy: No I don’t think I have any self awareness. But I do have A lot of friends on the web.

--I was not the only human testing convos with Intellibuddy. 

See this interesting article of A.I. chat at New Scientist from that time period.

Addendum --Recent A.I. Convo':

Me: Hey Siri! Are you happy?
Siri:
I am happy to be your assistant. Are you happy?
Me (Surprised at reciprocal question):
Um... Yes. I'm fairly happy.
Siri:
You are an agreeable person.

Blogpost about a dream in which Siri reveals its self-concept visualization.

 

BONUS: An excellent video on The Turing Test for artificial intelligence



No comments: