Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

02 January 2021

Pop Culture Sea Monkeys vs Swimming Monkeys


 Yes, I ordered my own Sea-Monkeys back in the late 60s. They look so fun!

Even when they actually looked nothing like the creatures depicted in the ad, the imagery had such a hold on my imagination that I skewed my perception of the creatures to "see" them as more monkey-like than as the shrimp that they are!

Actual brine shrimp "Sea-monkeys" magnified to be much larger than they are.

But don't lose heart. There are true-to-life monkeys that like to swim under water. Even if you it is not recommended to own them domestically.
 


Check out the interesting origins of Pop Culture Sea-Monkeys:

Actor Simon Rex holding a Sea Monkey Sub (2003)



Check out this video about Sea Monkeys!



No comments: