Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

16 August 2020

Emotions and Stardates: Poems From My Teen Years

 

My self portrait concurrent with my poetry in the Mid 70s

I came across a little notebook of poetry from my 10th Grade English Class. It made me wince a bit. But also, I feel a poignant affection for the young person who wrote these poems that I share here. The universal teen angst and strong emergent feelings are so palpable. I will be adding to this post with more typed entries of some poem samples. But for now I show photos of the pages of words in my own writing at the time. Two things of note: I used a quill-type pen and ink to write many of the lines. And being a huge Star Trek fan (60s era TV show), I would record the entries in "Star Dates".

As a sort of "bookend" image, this self portrait is from the Summer between 10th and 11th Grade.


BONUS: This is a terrific video on a significant poet  -- Sylvia Plath!

 

Xtra BONUS: Click here to check out my review of one of my latest favorite Poet's collection!












No comments: