Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

21 March 2020

Remembering Kenny Rogers (1938–2020)

Made a sticky note caricature sketch of pop star Kenny Rogers as I fondly remember him upon hearing news of his passing. Heartfelt sympathies & condolences to his family, loved ones & fans.
Entertainer Kenny Rogers, according to recent press releases, has passed away. He was a pop-star who reached the zenith of his popularity in the 80s through early 90s.

His hit song "You Decorated My Life" was one that I sang at a wedding of friends in that era. Lovely lyrics.

Another of his hit songs that I connect with on a somewhat amusing note (no pun intended) is "Lucille" (which includes the lyrics "You Picked a Fine Time to Leave Me, Lucille..."). My Aunt Lucille, who was also my first Sunday School Teacher,  told me once that he didn't like that her name was used in a Country song --much less that is about some who caused such heartbreak.

I also remember Kenny Rogers fondly for his duo with another fan-favorite pop star, Dolly Parton.

Here is a video (with better sound quality than visual) of the performance of "Islands in the Stream" by the two of them.





An excellent essay about how Rogers' duo with Miss Dolly on "Islands in the Stream" was his biggest success:






No comments: