Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

22 October 2013

"Alien Encounter"

This Mantis was in our patio potted plants.



Some time ago, one early September evening*, my daughter Melody and I were in the parking lot of our local Target store, after finishing some shopping, when we saw this praying mantis on the top of the car next to ours.

It was as big as the span between my thumb and little finger if my fingers were splayed out. All I had was my cell phone camera and as I was aiming it at the mantis to take it's picture, it's head slowly turned toward me and it was gazing at me with it's freakish eyes.

Very creepy.

I've since lost that photo, unfortunately. And yet, I've come to appreciate the beauty of the Mantis.

I think what made the parking lot situation especially eerie was the black sky behind the sickening greenish glow of the lights in the parking lot. We did not disturb the mantis but left it on the other car as we drove away. On the way home, Melody and I laughed about how creepy the creature had seemed. But now, as I remember the event, I am nostalgic for the times my kids still lived at home and would like to accompany me on my errands.

*In 2006

2016 UPDATE:

A video posted by O. Douglas Jennings (@odouglasj) on

NOTE: You'll need to visit the Instagram account by clicking on the embedded link above to see the video portion of the post but here's a screen shot of it below: 



Regarding the story behind my 2016 mantis encounter: I had been watering pots on our patio when this little creature emerged from their midst and out into the sunlight. She seemed a bit shaky. Not that you could tell from my own shaky handling of the iPhone camera. Eventually she disappeared among the foliage.

No comments: