Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

30 September 2013

Online Portfolios and Free Photo Sharing Sites


Tigrikorn Gallery: Link below
Originally uploaded by O. Douglas Jennings



This 2nd in my series of posts inspired by my increased involvement with the Chicago Chapter of the Graphic Arts Guild.

Exploitive terms of use agreements on the part of photo sharing sites is a threat of which more Graphic Artists are becoming aware.

A hurdle that I have had to overcome in understanding the terms-of-use problem with social media sites like Facebook, Instagram and others is that I had initially become involved with them as a casual social user. With that mindset, I failed to understand the especially negative implications that their terms of use might have on me as a professional Graphic Artist.

For years I have used flickr as an online portfolio display platform due to it's ease of use and control of permissions/rights notifications. But from the comments of Guild members and others, I've decided to increase my utilization of my own hosted website (for which I already pay) to create a portfolio there, exclusively, allowing me to avoid terms of use exploitation that I would face with free online photo sharing sites.

That's only a first step for me. I think every Graphic Artist should have a plan in place to protect themselves and the work they display to possible clients that includes avoiding exploitation by Social Media.

I'm still developing my strategy toward that goal.

The Graphic Artists Guild Website has numerous info resources that I'm checking out to help me along.

No comments: