Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

31 January 2013

Father and Son Nostalgia for 60s era TV Cartoon I watched as a kid.


My first two initials are "O.D." (Mom named me "Orrin" but then everyone in my family called me by "Dougie" - a shortened form of my middle name). One of my most pleasant memories is of when my dad would come home from work and my brothers and I would be on the floor in front of the TV watching the animated TV show "The King and Odie". Dad would start singing the words "O' D' Cologney!" (dramatic emphasis on the "O") and sweep me up off the floor for a hug. Odie Cologne (last name rhymes with "baloney") was a cartoon skunk featured in that show. I loved that Dad liked the cartoon as much as we did and that he used my initials to connect me with one of the heroes. While in his arms with my face against his cheek, I would exclaim that his day's growth of beard was too scratchy. He'd say "I'm sorry!" and laugh.

No comments: