Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

22 August 2024

History of Style (Mine)

I don't remember this school photo outfit. My mom probably picked it for me.
circa 1965

In the 1970s, I felt like a fish out of water. While blow-dried, long, flippy hair was all the rage, I preferred mine short. The 80s, however, suited me best. I sported short hair on the back and sides, with a long forelock adding some flair. I also loved the skinny ties and the retro look, reminiscent of the “Mad Men” style popularized by the TV show set in the 1960s advertising world. 


Work photo circa 1983


Creative Style Accents: Beyond fashion norms, I enjoy creativity and cross-purposing (not cross-dressing—not that there would be anything wrong with that.). I have fond memories of using a Boy Scout neckerchief clasp as a belt buckle. During my college years, I transformed a large black trash bag into an emergency rain poncho, complete with a matching cap. While I’ve toned down my “edgy” style choices, I still like to flip down the front of certain basic knit caps, creating a subtle bill-like flourish.

Lunch-time walk selfie 2013

As I’ve aged, my priorities have shifted. Material quality and fit matter more to me than ever. My hair has vanished, and my face boasts more wrinkles, but I’m determined to maintain a trim appearance and dress with a modicum of dignity. When I acquired prescription glasses for the first time in my mid 50s I opted for thick-rimmed, black frames which I still will wear often. I rather enjoy an iconic, geek-style look. Who knows how long I’ll keep it up, but for now, it suits me just fine! 

Note: This is a stub entry that I plan to expand upon in the future. Stay tuned.


No comments: