Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

16 January 2024

My Father's Crusade


The above photo was taken in Holland during WWII (1944). According to the comments written on back, the little girl would often visit dad's army barracks while he was stationed in her town. The Nazis captured the town after U.S. troops left, but, as the back of the photo relates, Dad believed the evacuation of the town saved the girl from harm.

Dad's was a paratrooper in the 82nd Airborne Army Division that took part in Operation Market Garden, the liberation of Holland. According to my Mom, Dad was a liason sargeant whose job included helping to lay communication lines and also provide the artillary with target coordinates.

Operation Market Garden was the subject of the 1977 movie “A Bridge Too Far” :




Click here to see a vintage photo of my dad a couple of years
after he returned home from the war.


Click here to read my post about my dad's politics.



No comments: