Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

16 July 2023

Oran Copher Obituary

 

Rev. Oran Copher circa 1943

As a tribute to my Great Grandfather from whom my mother gave me my first name (changing it to "the Irish spelling: Orrin), I am posting his obituary and photos from his life. From the time I was 3 years old until I was 13, I spent weekends and much of my Summer break with he and my Great Grandmother on their farm in rural Southern Illinois. I remember him as being kind, devout and hardworking.

_________________________

Oran Copher b. 1880 d. 1975

The Rev. Oran Copher, 94, of Route 2, Carterville, died at 11:50pm Monday in Herrin Hospital.

The Rev. Copher retired from active service as pastor of the Northern Baptist Churches several years ago. He had been a minister since the age of 24.

During those years he pastored Warder Street, Scottsboro, Spillertown, Walnut Grove, Arnold View, Creal Springs, Ziegler, Cottage Home, Lone Oak and White Swan Baptist Church at the Ashley Wye in Ashley, IL.

He was born October 20, 1880, West of Marion to the late Rev. Robert E. and Rosa Chamness Copher.

He was a member of the Lone Oak Baptist Church South of Energy.

He was married to Altha Butts in 1904. She preceded him in death April 21 1974.

He had been a life long farmer and was a coal miner for a number of years. He also had been active in civic affairs of Williamson County.

He is survived by one daughter, Clara Redford, Carterville, Route 2, one sone John Copher, Marion; 11 grandchildren; 31 great grandchildren and six great-great grandchildren.

He was preceded in death by one sister and five brothers.

Services will be at 3pm Thursday at the Mitchell Funeral Home with the Rev. Claude Childers and the Rev. Michael Hawley officiating. Burial will be in Freedom Cemetery. Friends may call at the funeral home after 4 p.m. Wednesday.

Marion Daily Republican Newspaper
Monday 2 June 1975 



1904
Wedding Photo
Oran Copher
& Altha Butts
(click to enlarge)








Oran Copher (center) 1915
with group of pastors.


 


Oran Copher
1961, retired.
At his home 
Rt. 2
Carterville, IL.
(click to enlarge)



No comments: