Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

15 October 2015

Old School Airbrush & Pencil Yoda Drawing, 1981

Yoda Portrait, 1981 Gouache, Ink and Graphite Pencil. © O. Douglas Jennings. All rights reserved.
I had gotten an airbrush as a H.S. graduation present and one of my first projects was this Yoda portrait. It was created by spraying the paint on the illustration board that had been masked with a frisket shape of Yoda. Each section of shading had to have it's own frisket mask. It was so time intensive that in order to make the deadline for the illustration, I decided to do the body as a pencil drawing. And you can see the difference in material between the top of his head and the bottom half. On top I used gouache and on the bottom I used ink.

I did another version of this Yoda  (in the same pose) in color pencil.


No comments: