Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

19 June 2013

The Most Satisfying Craft

Pictured above is one of the exquisitely crafted interiors from the Thorne Miniature Rooms collection
at the Art Instititute in Chicago. Photo by O. Douglas Jennings

 

What pastime can compare with the moments spent fabricating a well-designed object for beauty or usefulness -- or both! On Father's Day my daughter Melody spent an hour at the Art Institute after I had picked her up in the city and before we headed back home for family picnic festivities.

I've been a devotee of the Art Institute for decades and know it pretty well. But Melody suggested we try to focus looking at collected works of home goods they had on display. A medieval chair, an 19th Century Art Nouveau pitcher, an oriental themed secretary cabinet --all were delightful to examine and imagine what it might be like to create such objects or to use them. The pitcher was a combination of undulating gilded bronze vines and leaves that served as a handle and setting for a brilliantly azure glazed ceramic vessel.

"How did they make that?" Melody mused.
"Look! See the little bronze screws they used to attach the ceramic to the bronze?" I marveled.

We discussed the gold-trimmed mirrors, the elaborate mixed-influenced desk that seemed both Middle Eastern and Far Eastern. The hour was brief but our depth of appreciation and connection over the love of art was sweet.

"When I mention things we've discussed about Art and History in conversations with my friends, they think I'm such an expert. But really all I ever tell them is stuff I remember hearing from you." Melody remarked as we rode home.

It was touching to hear that. And I thought, my most satisfying craft is most likely the one I spend time on building connections with my loved ones.

More photos of the Art Institute Miniature Rooms Display that I viewed with my cousin Tiemen:






Photos © O. Douglas Jennings. All rights reserved.


No comments: