Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

07 February 2008

Transcend

Figurative representation of an abstract concept for class assignment. © O. Douglas Jennings


TRANSCEND
Art Originally uploaded to flickr by me,  Doug Jennings



I recently found this colored-pencil art piece that I had created in college. Our assignment was to illustrate an abstract concept. I can't remember if I chose the word "Transcend" or if it was assigned to me but I realize after all these years that "transcendence" has been a continuing theme of interest to me throughout my whole life.

After recently reading Plato's Republic, I am aware that this illustration, which is to be read from bottom to top, loosely follows the journey described in the Myth of The Cave where the soul is bound in obscure darkness and ignorance. Then he/she is released and ascends from the back of the cave up through the entrance into the light of day which represents exposure to and awareness of goodness and truth.

To Plato, this is the path of the philosopher who loves wisdom and truth. To Christians, this could symbolize awakening to the light of God's love.

In any case, it is a powerful metaphor for deeper understanding and enlightenment. I feel as if my consciousness has been peeling off in stages and levels like the skin of an onion and I have been increasingly made aware of larger/deeper/higher realities.

As far as the artwork is concerned, I think I could do a technically better job of illustrating this concept now. It would be fun to see this as a CGI.

No comments: