Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

05 October 2007

Casting Myself in a Comic

 Art by O. Douglas Jennings. Dialogue by Alex Bauman. ©RBP
 

I once worked for a company on a project for which I created comics to go with case-studies to be used a PowerPoint presentation as part of a curriculum for study groups. I worked with an editor who wrote the scripts for these discussion-starter comics and then he gave them to me to illustrate as a comic. I could relate to the script of this particular comic so well that I featured my self in the comic. The character in the first frame is based on my wife as well.

It's funny because the editor, Alex, wrote inner dialogue that is so similar to what I have thought many times when confronted with mechanical problems around the house. Each comic like this is accompanied by questions to get the study group to talk about attitudes, and how they can or can not relate to the situation depicted.

 

No comments: