Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

30 June 2007

Enjoying my Saturday morning



Enjoying my Saturday morning. I have my patio door open and can't help but notice the lovely sounds of birds singing in the back yard. Yesterday was cool and cloudy but today the Sun is out and humidity is low so it promises to be a terrific day.

Lately I have been reading Speaking of Faith by Krista Tippet and I've been re-reading the poems of Pablo Neruda. They are absolutely wonderful. There was a movie a few years ago called El Postino that featured Neruda's poems and biography as important elements of that fictional film. I enjoyed the movie and checked out some of Neruda's books of poetry from the library. Also, a relative gave me an audio tape of poems by Neruda so I've been listening to that again as well.

Neruda, from Chile, was a contemporary of T.S. Elliot and was popular beginning after the first World War. Here's some lines from one of my favorite poems of his, "Walking Around":

I don’t want to go on being a root in the dark,
insecure, stretched out, shivering with sleep,
going on down, into the moist guts of the earth,
taking in and thinking, eating every day.


These lines speak of a life of just existing. I think we all confront this feeling at one point or another.

 I enjoy this video about Pablo Neruda:




 

No comments: