Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

20 November 2004

Mental Blockage & Magical Thinking



What is frustrating is that I think of a lot of things to write in my blog during the day. This includes times like on the way to work or settling my mind before I go to sleep. Then when I sit at my desk to jot these ideas down, I can't remember them!

But discussing recent books I've been reading helps in my attempts to put something down in spite of this mental block!

Yesterday I finished listening to the audio recording of Augusten Burroughs book MAGICAL THINKING. Burroughs is a former alcoholic who was neglected and sexually abused as a child. After growing up to work in advertising copy writing and going through rehab, he's become a writer of a novel and several memoirs. That might be a bad summation of his career but at it's core, it's all about telling a good story. He does that well and I enjoyed listening to him read about his life experiences. I enjoyed his humorous novel, SELLAVISION (about a home shopping TV network), and RUNNING WITH SCISSORS (his childhood memoir about being raised by his mother's neglectful and eccentric psychiatrist & belonging to a cult) and DRY (his account of rehabilitation from alcoholism).

Why do I like reading such things? Stories about people overcoming adversity are always of interest to me --especially when that adversity involves overcoming a difficult childhood and societal issues.

I also ike reading David Sedaris' books.

On the journal-entry side of this blog: I taught my cartooning class today. It went well. I have good classes this session. My mom is visiting with us for a couple of days. She took us out to eat at Panerra. Earlier this morning I nearly finished digging the four holes for our trees that will be delivered Monday. I borrowed a pick from a friend at work. It was a lot of hard, back-breaking labor! It doesn't help that my wheel barrow has a flat.

Anyway, I had a good day overall. I will try to write more tomorrow.

No comments: