Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

10 August 2024

Visual Essay: At a Flea Market in Vienna

 I hope you enjoy these photos I shot during our delightful excursion. Please scroll to the end for detailed info about the Vienna Flea Market.




































The Flea Market in downtown Vienna, Austria, known as the Naschmarkt Flea Market, is a vibrant & bustling marketplace held every Saturday from 6:30 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. 


Located at the end of the Naschmarkt, one of Vienna's most famous food markets, about 400 flea market vendors offer a wide array of goods, from vintage clothing, antiques, and collectibles to books, art, & curiosities. 


The market attracts both locals and tourists, creating a lively atmosphere where haggling is common and treasures await discovery. Its central location, near Karlsplatz, makes it easily accessible, and it's a must-visit for those interested in unique finds and Viennese culture.


Bonus: 

The flea market was a real people-watcher's paradise. I mean, there were all sorts of interesting characters wandering around. But one group really caught my eye. It was a trio: a guy with a scruffy white beard, & two young guys who looked like they could be brothers.


They were totally focused, checking out the old stuff at different stalls. I wondered if they were coworkers or something, maybe the old guy was the boss. But they also reminded me of a grandpa with his grandsons. Something about them made me want to sketch them. I figured it would be a cool memory of the day.









No comments: