Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

08 October 2023

Iconic Transformation

 


This is a stub for a post I'm developing about the core essence of humanity. I begin with a video about Caitlyn Jenner.


 The transformation of Olympic icon Bruce Jenner into Vanity Fair cover model Caitlyn Jenner stirred a wide range of reactions in the media, from support to tiresome punditry and even snarky backlash. As someone who grew up loving comic books in the 70s and witnessed Bruce Jenner's Olympic triumphs, I, like many, regarded him as a super-hero.


To me, he embodied the All-American ideals and the essence of manhood, akin to a real-life "Superman." He held a special place in my cultural consciousness, an unshakable hero. However, one morning, as I checked my Twitter feed, I discovered that my heroic ideal's gender had been "re-assigned" both figuratively and physically, although the transformation had been years in the making. It took me some time to adjust to this revelation.


The news felt surreal, even though I understood it was a deeply personal decision affecting Jenner and the entire Jenner family. Moreover, there was a pop-culture dimension to this transformation that continues to influence how I perceive it. It even sparked a whimsical thought in my mind: "Imagine a blockbuster plot in DC Comics where Superman becomes Wonder Woman!" While the details of such a story would require some work, the media response would likely be familiar. I'm uncertain which transformation is more unthinkable to the collective pop-cultural consciousness: Bruce Jenner to Caitlyn Jenner or Superman to Wonder Woman. Both scenarios possess profound mythical qualities.


In this case, the mythic qualities surrounding such a transformation compel us to reexamine our fundamental understanding of masculinity, femininity, and, on a broader scale, what it means to be human. These are age-old questions that have intrigued thoughtful individuals throughout history. And throughout human history, the answer seems to be that the underlying essence of the human spirit, which unites us all, transcends gender and physical and mental abilities.


So, I extend my best wishes to Caitlyn and the entire Jenner family. I hope her transition brings them happiness and fosters greater compassion, understanding, and goodwill in all of us.


Update: "Superboy" character proposal transition shift:



 

No comments: