Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

24 August 2023

Barbie Movie "I'm Just Ken" Triggers Rock Opera Memories

 


I can't explain it. But watching and listening to the "I'm Just Ken" song from the Barbie movie somehow gives me flashbacks of watching the rock opera movie "Tommy" from 1975. 

"Tommy" is a 1975 British musical film directed by Ken Russell. It's based on The Who's 1969 rock opera album of the same name. The film stars Roger Daltrey as Tommy, a "deaf, dumb, and blind" boy who becomes a pinball wizard and a messianic figure. The movie features a mix of surreal visuals and musical performances, and it's known for its unique and sometimes controversial style. The cast also includes Ann-Margret, Oliver Reed, and Elton John. The film's plot revolves around Tommy's journey to enlightenment and his rise to fame as a pinball champion. It's a distinctive blend of rock music, psychedelic imagery, and social commentary --actually not unlike the Barbie movie!.

I saw Tommy in theaters when I was 15 years old and hadn't thought much about it until the rock-style riffs in Ken's musical lament brought the classic 70s film blockbuster to my mind. See if you can see any connection:

I'm Just Ken music video:


Tommy 1975 Trailer:

No comments: