Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

10 April 2020

Revisiting a Sketchbook Spread for Good Friday


I made numerous sketches of The Crucifixion in the 80s. The sketch above is one in which I wanted to show the dehumanizing aspects of that means of execution. Although there have been more graphic depictions of the scene before and since, I feel it was a decent concept study.

I recently added the text from Isaiah 53: 3-5 using a font I created based on my own hand lettering.

More sketches in which I also jot down notes on the details of crucifixion:


I highly recommend the following article by Historian Tom Holland regarding the importance of Christ's death on the Cross (see link in embedded tweet below).





Sketchbook art © 2020 O. Douglas Jennings

No comments: