Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

18 December 2019

Understated Slice-of-life Comics & Journal Has Quiet Yet Powerful Resonance

I've been a fan of Jessie Johnson's blog and online comics for some time. His fearless honesty in creating comics, both online and in his printed Peejoe series, about his day-to-day life reminds me of the brilliant work of Harvey Pekar whose American Splendor biographical comics had their heyday in the 80s and 90s.

I gradually ordered every Peejoe comic that Jessie had published which ranged from zine-type works to more standard-sized printed comics with 4-color covers. It was an especially pleasant surprise when a packet of his comics arrived with a bonus mini-comic, Lil Wiz by his sometime collaborator and husband Justin Holley whose manga-influenced art style complements that of his partner. And, I couldn't help but have been touched by the personal, hand-drawn, comic-format note from the Peejoe Comic's creator.

I tweeted about the comic packet's arrival:

When I realized Jessie published a diary-like Journal in a comics format I became very keen on reading it as well. Although I ordered it the same time as the other comics, it arrived later and was worth the wait. I tweeted about it's arrival and linked to the preview video of Journal 2011 from Jessie's Vimeo site:




In the description of Journal 2011 on his Vimeo site, Jessie aptly describes his prodigious work as:
"An intimate comic journal spanning a year of anxiety, paranoia, indulgence, an ailing grandmother, and psychoanalysis in the lives of two men and their old black cat in San Francisco."

I was NOT disappointed when I read Journal 2011 with its spare yet engaging cover graphics and solid, perfect-bound production quality from Lulu press. Jessie's heroic commitment, in and of itself, to put down a winsome, daily 'words-with-pictures' chronicle of his life for an entire year is impressive. I say this as someone who ALSO began a year-long, daily creativity project in that same year! --and didn't finish it until the end of 2012!

Journal 2011 It is an adult-themed black-and-white comic about relationships (with parents, spouse and friends), job stress, hopes, dreams and insecurities (including struggles with emotional health). Indeed, Jessie does not hold back from depicting intimate and vulnerable accounts of his life and relationships. And I found that the story of his work and relationship ups and downs resonate with my own on many counts (I've been married for 30 years and yet my wife and I will still, at times, have disagreements and lost-temper exchanges similar to Jessie's and Justin's).

And I loved the "Time Capsule"-like evoking of cultural references to movies watched, books and magazines read (incl. The New Yorker) and music & video games enjoyed (I loved that Jessie and Justin enjoyed the soundtrack to the movie Drive as I did).

There's a lot more I could say about Jessie Johnson's comics and his Journal 2011 but I'll just reiterate my hearty recommendation of it and hope you experience reading it as well.

This common experience depicted in Jessie's art made a connection with me which is the best function of art. It's a connection that shares compassion, humanity and self-reflection. It doesn't get better than that.

With apologies to both Jessie, Justin -- and Bill Watterson!-- I sketched this tribute in color ball-point pens to the heroes of Journal 2011!



2020 UPDATE:

Jessie is taking part in a daily art challenge for 2020! Follow him on Instagram to see all his fun entries!



View this post on Instagram

A post shared by Jessie (@jessiewonka) on

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so honored and touched to be mentioned by name in your write up on Jessie's work! And I love the drawing--of course I'm Hobbes! :P
- Justin