Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

01 April 2019

Middle Earth & LOTR Tribute Inspiration

Screen Capture of Middle Earth Documentary info
I enjoyed watching the documentary The Real Middle Earth that relates some of the influences J.R.R. Tolkien's upbringing and landscapes of his native England had on his momentous novel. Good glimpse into his life and work.

And watching it inspired some of my sketch work! Something I haven't done in a while and had a lot of fun with! I sketched a Hobbit and an Elf using an orange and blue gel pen (see below). Felt good. ^_^

2020 UPDATE: In these difficult days, I was again inspired and encouraged by LOTR in this video tribute (5min):

 

 
"I am a Christian," Tolkien wrote, "and indeed a Roman Catholic, so that I do not expect 'history' to be anything but a 'long defeat' - though it contains (and in a legend may contain more clearly and movingly) some samples or glimpses of final victory." 

Above excerpt from

Abiding the Long Defeat with J.R.R. Tolkien: Faithfulness in a Disenchanted Time

 UPDATE: Vocalist Sara Groves "The Long Defeat" song without LOTR video :


Lyrics of The Long Defeat found here

 

 

 

© O. Douglas Jennings. All rights reserved.

No comments: