Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

10 November 2017

Uncanny


"...there is at least one time in my life that, as I look back on the experience,
fills me with a sense that I had been touched with an spark of uncanny insight..."

 


 
I’ve talked with people who have told me of personal scary “ghost stories” or strange X-files-type encounters with unexplained events or phenomena. I’ve often felt jealous of those friends who breathlessly recount their brush with the supernatural and the mysterious. Although I was often filled with terror of the dark and imaginary monsters as a child (werewolves were the most horror-inducing creatures of all), I have never encountered anything truly “spooky” —or at least anything that couldn’t later be easily explained rationally in the light of day. No alien encounters. No ghostly presences in abandoned houses. Yawn.
 
But there is at least one time in my life that, as I look back on the experience, fills me with a sense that I had been touched with an spark of uncanny insight or deep personal revelation. At the age of 11, on a breezy Summer evening, I was watching the Dick Cavett show on the family’s boxy black and white TV when the fluttering lace curtains of the open window in the adjoining room captivated me. In a rush my consciousness was propelled through the window and into the night sky above my house. I could see in my minds eye my self watching the TV, in the house on the lot among the trees; then on the planet, below the Moon. Like invisible metal filaments that form the shape of bands on the paper surface around a magnet, I could perceive and sense my connection to the life on the planet and to the greater universe as part of some enormous galactic loop. Memory of that pure sense of cosmic connection is still as palpable and vivid to me today after many years.

I consider the experience to be a gift from God who, in spite of being the subject of much stale dogma, is The Father of Spirit and who breathes spirit into us all.

Update: Finally, I created a comic based on the experience I mention above (click to enlarge):


No comments: