Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

25 November 2020

Has DC Comics Future State Revived Readership?

It was "All New" in 2016 but this ambitious and well-illustrated tome requires an addendum!

I often enjoy the "DC Comics Encyclopedia All-New Edition: The Definitive Guide to the Characters of the DC Universe" (2016) based on "DC Rebirth".  Since I can't buy as many comics as I'd like, I love to read character profiles to "catch up" on their latest biographies. I was reading recently & realized it's pretty much out of date by now after the DC Metal crossovers (which I avoided as "Metal" connotes in my mind a sensibility that holds no interest for me). 

 My flagging interest that had me yawning at the "Batman Who Laughed" and all the Metal shenanigans has run its course. And after reading teasers on the "Future State" crossover my antennae perked up! I've been hungry for a more extensive Primer on this new direction! 

I'm happy to say my wait is over. The DC Comics online portal has made such a Primer available! It both satisfies my hunger to know more and whets my appetite for the upcoming crossover in the New Year!

From what I've read in the free DC Comics Future State sampler, the new direction for the Super Hero characters I'm most enamored with is innovative and talent-packed! I'm embedding some tweets and images from that sampler and more below.

 

 




 

Two of my favorite artists have posted on their Twitter accounts about their upcoming titles:


 

I think it's smart of DC to limit most of their crossover titles to two issues (January and February). That way they can have a big impact but not draw it out for too long! 

I'm only heartbroken that I cannot buy all the comics. It will be a hard decision but I'll need to pic a very limited number of titles. To be honest, those titles will be "Trinity" based.

What books in the DC Comics Future State hold the most promise for you?

______

 

No comments: