Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

21 May 2020

Those Cheeky Scamps - The Fab Four



The Post-Modern Four 
Illustration by O. Douglas Jennings

2023 Update -“Now and Then” Beatles final song released:

And its reception by the Critics:

I'm actually a late-comer to Beatle-mania. Or, maybe, I should qualify rather as a casual Beatle fan. Back in the 60s, it was my older brother that played Beatles music all the time. I was too young to truly appreciate them at the time. But their music played constantly in the background of my childhood, thanks to my oldest bro. It wasn't until I was in my late 30s (even a bit later) that I began to enjoy The Beatles music on my own. It was a rediscovery, if you will. It began when my teen-age daughter checked out Revolver from the public library and began playing it. Wistful sounds from my childhood began wafting through the house unbidden by me. That was the beginning of my period of Beatles rediscovery.

At any rate, at this point, the only album of theirs that I listen to on a regular basis is "Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band".

I love the variety of styles they feature on the album. And the story-telling is captivating. Of all their albums, I consider it to be most full of colorful creative tributes to culture and humanity.

Stylized update of previous illustration.
By O. Douglas Jennings

I hope you enjoy my above drawings of the Fab Four (an earlier pen and ink with tonal touches along with another later version in different style and made into a little animation). AND, of course I must include the image below of the iconic album cover.


See this interesting Video about the first World-Wide Satellite TV Broadcast in which the Beatles took part by performing "All You Need is Love" a month after their Sgt. Pepper's album was released:


For Context, this link takes you to a video showing other pop-culture songs and clips of movies and news from the year the album was released (1967).


Finally, here's the Wikipedia entry for Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band that relates interesting background and inspiration for the benchmark album.


Loved this video of the Fabs doing a live performance of Hey Jude:


Keep the legacy going!


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I showed your drawing to Randy, a lifetime Beatles fan. He enjoyed your drawing very much and asked me to let you know how impressed he was with it. (I like it, too!)