Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

16 May 2016

How's That Social Media Thing Going?

Social Media keeps me connected....to lots of streams of consciousness.
So, I realize the importance of Social Media. It keeps me connected with friends, family and fellow professionals. It aids in networking and cross-fertilization of ideas. It's really great, right?
Art © by O. Douglas Jennings


So why do I sometimes feel too overwhelmed by it? It's like I'm a telepath who can't turn off the voices of mental chatter from people around me playing in my mind.

And in the early days of my experience with Social Media, I made the mistake of getting into political/cultural debates & discussions that cost me some friends as I over-reacted in my zeal to get my opinions across.

But I have promised my self I will not give up on the new world of connectivity and experience sharing. But I need to take it slow and use a measured approach.

I honestly value all my friends on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr and Instagram. So if you're one of those friends, please be patient with me. As the cliche goes, I'm a work in progress.

On the other hand, there's this perspective by recording artist Stromae that I cannot discount! --



21 March 2018 UPDATE: Political polarization in the U.S. and scandals involving exploitation of personal data on Facebook has had a sharp impact how safe people feel on FB and other social media platforms. So you can guess that my stress level over using Facebook has increased. Also, in large part, because that platform seems the most used for acrimonious venting by all political stripes. So it's should be no surprise that my presence on FB has been minimal over the last couple of years since I first posted this blog entry.

But I still enjoy checking in on family & friends through Facebook. I just don't engage in political discussions very much (if at all!). I use Twitter to do most of my venting. Social media in general is not as fun as it use to be. There are so many self-styled "Social Media Experts" along with sponsored content that it puts me off. But I'm not throwing in the towel or cutting the cord yet!

13 March 2019 UPDATE:  So... I'm pretty much a "no show" on Facebook these days. The thing I've realized is the most cruel thing about 'social media' is that it promises connection but does not have an ultimately satisfying format. I, for one, cannot be connected 24/7. And the thought of being on display and available for comment/interaction demands in the way seems to be most common. Twitter is the easiest and most satisfying platform for me. Maybe, because its founder, Jack Dorsey, says his intention for Twitter is to be an "Interest Media" platform rather than a "Social Media" one.


20 May 2020 UPDATE(Relevant Social Media Report):


29 May 2020 UPDATE -- Facebook favoritism:

 

I'll close with this quote allegedly made by Bill Murray:

UPDATE:


 

 

No comments: