Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

26 March 2016

More on Batman v Superman: Short Comparison of Reviews

I used some toys and a clay figure to re-enact a scene from Batman v Superman. © O. Douglas Jennings.
I read/viewed two reviews on the BvS movie today. The Youtube vlogger Emergency Awesome is much closer in expressing my estimation of the movie:



The other review is from Vince Ostrowski an excellent comic critic for Multiversitycomics.com (click article graphic to link to his review):
Note: I don't agree with Vince on his final assessment of the BvS movie's shortcomings, but he's well-reasoned and has some good points.


Sooo...
The reason I refer to both these reviews is that they both do a good job of representing the lovers and haters of the film among people who love comics. And I agree with both of them on many things but my enjoyment of the movie resonates with the experience of Emergency Awesome most closely. Like the views from that video review, I think Ben Affleck did a perfect job as Batman. And the story/plot of the movie did more to stoke the fires of my anticipation for the Justice League movie rather than vex or confuse me.

I also agree with Vince on the excellence of the portrayal of supporting characters in the film (Lois Lane, Alfred, Perry White). His rating of how the script writer and director handled the philosophical aspects of the story has merit but I didn't feel it was an utter failure. I think there might have been some missteps but my overall enjoyment of the movie was not diminished.

There are actually a lot of decent reviews. If you haven't watched the movie yet, you should see it so you can form your own opinion.

 My Original Review of BVS

 


No comments: