Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

09 August 2012

Superman Vs The Elite -- Mixed Take (After two viewings)*


I was hyped about seeing this movie but ended up being disappointed. 

It was based on the superb single issue comic story "What's So Funny About Truth, Justice & the American Way?," the story published in the comic book Action Comics #775 (March 2001). The original story helped define the character of Superman with his classic moral values in contrast to the ruthless, take-no-prisoners approach of alternate "Authority"-like super-heroes that were popular in the early 2000s. I loved the comic when I read it back in the day and was so looking forward to the animated version. 

The problem I had while watching it was that I could not help but be distracted by the animation style/quality. It did not, in my opinion, meet the standards of previous WB, Superman animated features such as Superman/Batman: Public Enemies or All Star Superman. 

Also, it seemed to me that the producers were trying too hard to make it appeal to a more adult audience. Some minor swearing and intimations of (married) sexual relationship between Lois and Clark seemed somewhat forced. And then regarding the format of the DVD, there was no scene selection capabilities. Overall I'd give it a 1 out of four star rating.

*UPDATE (2016): I watched this video a second time a year or two later than my first viewing. I'm a bit embarrassed to say I liked it better the second time! I will even go so far as to upgrade my rating from 1 star out of 4 to be a revised 2 and a half stars out of 4. So it went from being a "Thumbs Down" to a "Thumbs Rising". 
 
UPDATE (2021)

No comments: