Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

27 April 2015

Octopus Days

Sketch book pages from the time a few years ago when I was obsessed with the octopus.


Sporadically over a few months in 2010 I was fixated on drawing the octopus in various poses and configurations. To this day I remain intrigued by that amazing creature, "a cephalopod mollusc of the order Octopoda" according to our friends at Wikipedia.

I checked out lots of children's books about the octopus from my local library. Children's books are a great way to start reading about a subject. They reduce most any matter to it's essence and have lots of pictures!

Youtube videos showing the eight-legged denizen of the deep were also valuable in my quest to absorb information on them. I eventually got my fill. But not before I learned how intelligent they are (at least as smart as a cat). The octopus is also a curious, playful creature. Unfortunately they only live 3-5 years.

Here's an interesting tweet I think my fellow Octopus stans would like:

 

In 2014, I created a painting based on one of my octopus-themed sketchbook pages. It was very fun to give the subject a fantasy treatment. 



See an animated gif based on this painting.

You can see more of

 Twitter feed resources:


 

Link to This Terrific BBC film on our tentacled friends:


And another good Octopus Video:

2020 UPDATES: Awesome Video full of Octopus Trivia!







https://typhlonectes.tumblr.com/post/190502127863/the-glass-octopus-vitreledonella-richardi-is-a
 



OCTOPUS MIRROR TEST!



Another Fun Octopus Video



OCTOPUS COLOR TEST:



Art and text © 2015 by O. Douglas Jennings. All rights reserved.


More Breaking Octopus news:

 

Such a Wonderful Film: My Octopus Teacher


AND Learn more about the making of My Octopus Teacher!

 




No comments: