Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

29 September 2014

The Last Unicorn on Tour: Chicago Screening



The Music Box Theater in Chicago is a true vintage treasure of old-time movie nostalgia. With live organ music playing splendid show tunes, just as in the days of silent films, my two daughters and I chose a perfect trio of fold-down, red-velvet cushioned seats (wooden arm rests, no cup holders) in the second row. We were all excited with anticipation to see The Last Unicorn. It's a childhood favorite of my daughters, Emily and Melody (now in there twenties) and a longtime favorite of mine since I had originally read the book in my teens in the early 70s.

Our excitement has dampened by the realization that we had to sit through both a question-and-answer period and a raffling off of books, posters and assorted memorabilia. The crowd was full of dedicated, ecstatic fans. Some were dressed in costumes of a medieval nature if not of characters in the story. I wouldn't claim to be that kind of fan. Neither were my daughters who, like me, really just came to see the movie on a big screen and be swept away by the cinema experience. But the Q&A had high points. I and audience was to discover that Peter S. Beagle had met Marilyn Monroe when he was 15 years old as they were both guests of a mutual acquaintance (a literary agent who knew Ms. Monroe's then husband Arthur Miller). Beagle regaled us with talk of his lucky breaks and the gradual creation of his most acclaimed book. All this was interesting but I really just wanted to see the movie.




I had met author Peter S. Beagle at Chicago Comic Con a few years ago. He and his promoter Connor Cochran were placed at tables across from a Star Wars 501st Storm Trooper Legion (a very popular group). Still unpacking their books and merchandise, they were, amazingling enough, receiving no lines of fans or admirers at that particular moment. I couldn't believe my luck at having the opportunity to introduce myself to an author whose book had a lasting impact on me and my creative world. I found Mr. Beagle to be a kind, gracious gentleman. I told him how his unicorn story inspired me to create my character Tigrikorn. I can't remember his exact words but he made me feel appreciated and affirmed by his response. The crowds did keep him busy later that day. As I saw the swarms around his table as I passed by another time, I felt fortunate to have had a decent conversation with him one on one earlier.




Still, I've never been enough of a fanboy to even wait in line to talk to my favorite creators. And now, in particular, I just wanted to see the freakin' movie. The raffle was a bit fun. All of us had tickets and I just missed one of the prizes by one number. It was a momentary distraction. But Emily, Melody and I were so glad the lights dimmed, the old-time curtain raised on the movie screen and the film rolled.

To see it on the large screen was marvelous. The opening score, title credits and art were exquisite. The art in the credits referenced heavily the medieval Cloister Tapestries which were themselves, in part, influenced by Persian rug and miniature motifs. My wonder and delight which I remember feeling when I first saw the movie version of that favorite book was rekindled. I saw so many scenes with new eyes and appreciation. The caravan of Mama Fortuna with the horrific harpy. The ridiculously amorous enchanted tree to which Shemdrick was tied by the brigands. King Haggard's castle, the Red Bull and, of course, the Unicorn herself --everything was brilliant.

A couple of years ago, as part of a 365 Day Tigrikorn-themed creativity project, I made a little "found object" art project using a discarded Red Bull energy drink can. I imagined how my character Tigrikorn might react to the character of the Red Bull from The Last Unicorn: 



 There will always be Red Bulls to battle with the powers of imagination.

UPDATE 2017: Peter S. Beagle lawsuit & financial struggles news.

 UPDATE 2019: Peter S. Beagle wins lawsuit.

No comments: