Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

08 February 2018

A Crossroad for Artists



As a person who has enjoyed earning a living as a Graphic Artist for the past three and a half decades, I am heartened and encouraged to see a new generation of creative innovators making their mark in the Graphic Arts field. I see such wonderful work by younger co-workers, through portfolios emailed to me and through various streams on social media. And I’m also encouraged by what I see of students in my additional role as an Art Instructor.

I remember when I was an art student: I revelled in learning skills and techniques that I could combine with my creativity to make works of my own art.  The source and energy of that exciting process seemed to come from another place. It was like I was watching myself as I brought forth a new creation that I couldn’t quite explain or account for logically. And so the thrill of making Art is derived, in part, by the feeling of being transported, in a way, outside of everyday circumstances. And in that timeless, alternate zone, anything seems possible.

Once in that creative zone, ideas, stories, solutions and artistic pleasure flowed so easily that I would freely give my art away and think nothing of it. Such generosity was just a natural progression of the creative flow as far as I was concerned. It wasn’t until I began contributing my art to the school newspaper, youth group event flyers, School play programs or to illustrate class projects that I began to see the practical value of my art in the eyes of other people and causes.

"I’ve seen that creative people, whether they are wielders of words, pictures, or other art forms, have the distinct and sometimes unfortunate position in society as they are praised and celebrated on one hand while conversely being undervalued in the marketplace."


But as the years have gone by, I’ve seen that creative people, whether they are wielders of words, pictures, or other art forms, have the distinct and sometimes unfortunate position in society as they are praised and celebrated on one hand while conversely being undervalued in the marketplace. Placing a value on a particular item of creative work is not necessarily a problem. It’s that in the minds of many artists, as they start their careers, making art and having it received by an audience, is payment in of itself. And so it is hard for them to have a practical perspective on how best to make a living from their Art if that’s what they want to do.

Eventually there comes a watershed moment, a fork in the road, if you will, in the life of any artist. It is the point at which one decides whether or not he or she has the necessary desire and endurance to make some sacrifice for art. This sacrifice usually involves undergoing the demanding discipline of more training in advance skills for both art and management of one’s business as an artist (That is a route filled with ups and downs that can tax one’s patience and resolve to the limit).  The other route, which is just as honorable, is to let one’s art serve as a more private refuge and pastime while making a living in other vocations. The main drawback of that path, perhaps, is being struck with the pangs of wondering what “might have been” had one pursued an Art career.


But I have come to realize that Art on any level, whether for fun or for work still has it’s own beauty and reward. It is one of humanity’s signature gifts and traits: the ability —and, in fact, the need— to create art, write stories, design and dream.

It has been said that Art is Humanity’s only true monument. As I look down through the ages of History past, it is the Art of long gone civilizations that most reveals the inner life and perspectives of people in a particular era.

So I say to anyone who enjoys making art at any level, continue to make art, create, write, express your visions, publish your work and test yourself with the realizations of your dreams. Whether you pursue art as a career or maintain it as a refuge, it will be a sustenance and treasure.

I would like to recommend the words encouraging artists of Irish Poet, John O’Donohue* in an excerpt from his poem
A Blessing for the Artist :

May your imagination know
The grace of perfect danger
To reach beyond imitation
And the wheel of repetition
Deep into the call of all
The unfinished and unsolved…

In order to come to birth
In a clean line of form.
That claims from time
A rhythm not yet heard.
That calls space to 
A different shape…

To surprise the hungry eye
By how deftly it fits
About its secret loss.

--excerpted from the book To Bless The Space Between Us by John O'Donohue

*In fact, I recommend all of O’Donohue’s published poetry and essays.

This article was adapted from a speech I gave at a celebratory reception of one of my students upon the publishing of third issue of his art anthology magazine.

No comments: