Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

04 October 2017

The Venomous Mind & The Mermaid (Sketches)

#Intober2017 Day3 "Poison" #Inktober © O. Douglas Jennings

I am pleased with my #Inktober2017 Day 3 drawing.The Sharpie Pen (not permanent marker Fine Point) was my utensil of choice.

An additional challenge that has been part of my participation in this year's Inktober is that I will not draw in pencil first but will use ink first and last for my drawing. This requires very deliberate, nearly Zen-like carefulness and pre-visualization.

Somewhere I read that Jack Kirby, comic art master, was able to forego the pencil art and draw directly with ink to create his dynamic works of artistic genius. I doubt if I could do that for an entire comic. But each of my Inktober drawings will be a practice in ink-only drawing.

For my Day 4 art, I wish I would not have used the Paper Mate Flair pen. It is a small drawing (2.5"x2.25") that I made during a company meeting.

Perhaps it's not a very original for the "Underwater" prompt. I imagine there will be lots of drawings of mermaids for today's entries. But I looked forward to the challenge of conveying the buoyancy of an underwater scene. Easily, this could be a "pre-production" concept drawing for a larger, more-detailed art piece. We'll see.
© O. Douglas Jennings

No comments: