Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

06 October 2017

Norse & Classic Inspirations Social Media Art Challenges

#Inktober2017 Day 5 "Long" © O. Douglas Jennings

There was a lot of my time devoted to thinking about how to convey the concept of "Long" for this drawing. I had thought about drawing an elongated character like a Malacandrian from C.S. Lewis' Sci-Fi novel Out of the Silent Planet. And I thought about drawing a long pencil that wound it's way throughout the space of the paper. Then I remembered drawings of sea monsters in old maps. I thought about drawing The Midgard Serpent around the World Tree.

But then I decided to make the design to be more contained. M. C. Escher was also an inspiration.


#Inktober2017 Day 6 "Sword"  © O. Douglas Jennings
For the Day 6 "Sword" prompt, I didn't think about it much. I began with a sword, of course and then added imbellishments of the thorns, blood and jewels. Since I love drawing faces, I did the outline of the head, added the eyes and then let my imagination wander to the days of Vikings and Celts to finish the face.

I did not do preliminary pencil drawings on either of the designs.

No comments: