Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

28 February 2017

The Interesting Case of the "Saint Death" Movement

Santa Muerte, or "Saint Death" has been a simmering folk religious movement in Mexico for a few years now. Art © O. Douglas Jennings. All rights reserved.
Several years ago, I heard about a growing folk religious movement in Mexico that venerates "Santa Muerte" or "Saint Death". It inspired me to make the above sketches. Her devotees are the displaced, outcast and sometimes (but not always) members of the narcotics trade.

Technically, the skeletal Santa Muerte usually holds a globe along with her scythe. But since she typically wears a bridal dress, I gave her a wilted bouquet. The original terrific article from years ago that inspired my sketch is here.  

Just call me "Mr. Sunshine" but I figure with a "Thanos-like" leader in the White House, Saint Death might become more popular than ever.
 

2017 update: A more recent update on the Santa Muerte movement.

2019 update: Santa Muerte: The Saint Of Death That The Vatican Tried To Shut Down


No comments: