Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

20 November 2016

Hopeful Flight

Detail of super hero in flight ink sketch
Detail of quick ink sketch showing Super Hero in flight. © O. Douglas Jennings. All rights reserved.
I'm often planning ahead for my Cartooning Classes. Sometimes I get an idea of a technique or style I want to demonstrate for the students and then I'll make a quick sketch to understand the steps. That is the inspiration of the sketch at the top of this post (full sketch can be seen by clicking on the image).

When I begin the demo with the students, I make a pencil sketch of the figure using basic shapes and then I have the students follow along. My current spate of students like to create their own individual details of the hero they have in mind when we get to the final stages.

In the class where I demonstrated drawing the flying hero, on of my students decided to create art of the Marvel Comics Avenger Vision.

Student Drawing of Marvel's Vision android super hero. © S.W.
Another student made a drawing of the Spider-Man villain Electro. Yet another student chose The Hulk. In the meantime, I made my finished drawing to be of Green Lantern. I took an iPhone pic of my finished inked drawing and then colorized using Adobe PhotoShop. See Below.

Green Lantern Illustration by Doug Jennings
This was the first class since the 2016 Presidential Election. I find that in these uncertain times, the hope that is symbolized by super-heroes is somewhat therapeutic.

No comments: