Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

09 June 2016

The Secret to Egyptian Art's Classic Symmetry


I enjoyed this succinct, informative article on the Egyptian use of grids and Frontalism in their art.

Another article mentions the grid-system technique used by ancient Egyptian artists to create a symmetrical face.
Such systems are commonly used by artists still. In fact, I often use various types of grid configurations to guide the proportions of my drawings of faces. It can be used to create faces from one's imagination or to aid the artist while drawing a face from life.

Compared to the grid used by Egyptian artists, I use a much simpler one [below] when I am creating art of faces.
Sample grid for drawing a face. © O. Douglas Jennings.

 

Another art-instruction example of using a grid:



Advertisment:
http://www.cafepress.com/+tigrikorn+gifts


No comments: