Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

21 March 2016

TRANSCENDENT; TRANSIENT


The eternal and the ephemeral.
Two facets of the same reality.
So opposite yet both so necessary
To the scheme of existence.
One is caught in time and space;
A flat dimension compared
To the spiritual realm, that
Has no beginning or end.

Traveling further into
Reality, always moving,
Forever vibrant, the sights
And sounds of timelessness
Sometimes beckon us. The
Yearning for eternity will
Come upon us during bitter
Sweet moments of joy and
Awe when we are given a
Fleeting glimpse of its
Beauty through the veil
Of nature.

Is this where
The natural and the Super
Natural meet? The point
Where and when infinity
Overlaps the finite?

Truly the closest point to
Eternity is the present.
This moment.
Not past.
Not future.
Now.


— A poem that I wrote when I was at Southern Illinois University in 1980 as part of a visual communication project. It went with the diamond-shaped collage that I designed above (now an animated gif). I feel I understand the concept behind the poem much better since those days.

See another of my College Art Assignments that touches on a similar theme

"[T]here is at least one time in my life that, as I look back on the experience, fills me with a sense that I had been touched with an spark of uncanny insight or deep personal revelation."

And then there is this great interview:




No comments: