Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

20 November 2015

80s Style Sketch on the Train

Sleeping Train Commuter Sketch © O. Douglas Jennings. All rights reserved.

 

On the way back from downtown Chicago on the train one afternoon I took a few sketches of fellow passengers. The guy dozing next to me was a perfect subject.

So, as I am viewing this 80s era drawing from one of my sketchbooks (this must be "80s Week" on my blog, right?), it occurs to me that my sketching this dude as he was sleeping on the train is a bit creepy.

In my defense, this was actually a crowded upper level of the train... and, um.. how could I resist capturing the image of those Reeboks! Anyway, I don't regret preserving the moment for posterity in the interest of recording some of the era's fashion sense. Not shown: The guy had a mullet. Not exactly clear: he also had a tie and suspenders so he must have worked retail or in some such business.

So there you have it. This will be classified as a fashion sketch --which may still seem a bit creepy. But whatever.

No comments: