Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

01 October 2015

Wet Blanket Disclaimer

Original caption: "This is to no one in particular. I sometimes just get tired of social media glibness.
© O. Douglas Jennings
I posted the above photo on my Instagram because, as I stated, the glibness and snarkiness of so many social media posts --across all platforms-- was wearing on me. That is to say, I was suffering from "Snark Overload".

But, in the interests of not being a "wet blanket", I have to admit I enjoy snappy comebacks and wisecracks in general. I love Groucho Marx, Don Rickles, Oscar Wilde, Mark Twain and all the clever geniuses of the snarky remark. But, to butcher the maxim (Lord, forgive me), "Man does not live by Snark alone..."

Every now and then I tire of "gotcha" moments, witty attacks and jabs which, if we're honest, are too often just an excuse to show off one's wit at the expense of another.

I just realize that I need to balance my diet of snark with plenty of helpings of honest conversation, perceptiveness and good will.

No comments: