Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

21 February 2015

Portrait Sketches

© 2015 Doug Jennings. All Rights Reserved.

One of the joys of being an artist is making sketches of family and friends. The drawings above are from a sketchbook that I kept in the 80s. The top row and far left drawing on the bottom row are from a church youth group camping trip. The remaining two are at different times and locations. These few examples are not finished drawings but the loose sketches have an immediacy and spontaneity that I enjoy.

Rather than list the names of my sketch subjects (all of whom were kind to allow me to sketch their likenesses), I'd like to explain how each of these drawings in my sketchbook are a wonderful keepsake. They represent for me cherished memories. Even though I have lost touch with some of the subjects, these drawings bring them to mind and reverberate good will and fond recollections.

The above sampling is just a portion of my collected sketches. A few more (not all by any means) can be seen at my Flickr Photo Sharing Site.

 

See my Self Portrait Album on Flickr


NYTimes Interactive Article on Albrect Durer's Self Portraits


Room Interior As Self Portraiture


No comments: