Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

23 January 2015

Movie and Art Exhibit Review: Birdman and James Ensor--Updated


Recently I took part in two separate cultural events that, to my surprise, had some unexpected connections. One was the movie Birdman (which won an Oscar for best picture) and the other was an exhibit at the Art Institute of Chicago featuring the work of the Belgian painter James Ensor. 

Days after watching the movie Birdman, I was still parsing my feelings about it. The innovative camera work and structure was bold and arresting. Michael Keaton, an acclaimed actor whom some might consider to be in his declining years (having reached his zenith in pop-culture with in the role of Batman for two movies in the 80s and 90s) plays a character much like himself. But the on-screen super hero for whom his character, Riggan, was popular is the quasi-fictional winged crime fighter  Birdman.

There is lot's of funny dialogue that lampoons pop-culture icons like super heroes in the movies as well as celebrity in general. Riggan attempts to redeem his failing career by writing, directing and starring in a serious broadway play. The story takes place during the days of his first two preview performances with all kinds of crazy, funny gaffs and production problems.

There's a metaphysical/supernatural element to the film that could also be interpreted as delusional on the part of Riggan. This made me think of classic Walter Mitty's imaginary digressions. And the ending caused me to question the perceptions of the previous events in the story.

I loved  the drum solo music score a lot. The drummer that provided the score appeared as a street performer at one point. This was just one example of the innovative structure of the film. I can see why this ground-breaking film delighted the voters of the Academy Awards.


Titled "Temptation: The Demons of James Ensor" (which is now closed*), my second experience of the Arts that I want to mention was an exhibit and an example of an Art Institute production at its finest. I'm not saying this because it was a huge, vast-ranging exhibit like the Picasso extravaganza of last year. The James Ensor show was more modest. And it did not cost extra (beyond the normal museum admission price). But it was in solid keeping with Art Institute's mission to educate the public and provide access to significant works. It achieved this splendidly with the Ensor exhibit.

Detail of a hand-painted self portrait etching of Ensor taunted by Demons


Although I've been a student of Art History for many years, I am embarrassed to admit, I was not familiar with James Ensor. The paintings, drawings and etchings of his I saw at his exhibit impressed and inspired me. I told my daughter who accompanied me on the visit, "This makes me want to paint!"

Ensor was contemporary with the Impressionists and a precursor to Expressionists yet did not travel much outside of Belgium at all. During his productive years, Ensor's work was offbeat: Skeletons fighting over a hanged man; Disturbing crowds of masked partiers; Hand-painted, self-portrait etchings in which he is taunted by demons. He did not consider himself among the faithful, yet he was fascinated with depictions of Christ and Saints--mainly in the service of contemporary social commentary.

Unlike tragic painters like Van Gogh, James Ensor lived long enough to see his work appreciated and received honors before he died in 1949. In spite of the acclaim, he also endured years of decline after his most creative and productive periods.

This is where I want to mention the connection between Birdman and the James Ensor exhibit.

Frankly, as an artist I could identify with Birdman's main character Riggan, as well as Ensor.  Both artists were haunted by demons -- significantly, one demon of which is the beelzebub of taunting doubt over artistic relevance after more productive creative years have come and gone.

I would recommend both Birdman and the Ensor exhibit (or to explore Ensor's at the least). But with Birdman I would give the caveat to not expect a tidy, easily resolved movie. It is a dark comedy but still it's a comedy. So I needed to remind myself not to over think it.


There is a "Trailer" available for the Art Institute of Chicago's Ensor painting:

* See Google Image Search Results of painting from the exhibit.


No comments: