Thoughts & life experiences of a Chicago area graphic artist

23 May 2013

Rainy night in West Dundee acrylic painting


© O. Douglas Jennings. All rights reserved.

 
I just got back from an open studio art class. It's been so much fun to be in a room with 6 other artists, listening to music, sharing snacks, creating art and talking all about books, movies, music and artists. Everybody is having a great time and euphoria abounds. Everyone looks at the projects each of us are working on and gives encouraging praise and critiques.

Last week I was struggling with a painting I wanted to scrap. I was trying to do a precise downtown, rainy day scene with buildings and cars and people with umbrellas, but I just wasn't feeling it. I told our teacher, Alayne that I was not feeling it. "I'll just paint over it and do something else," I conceded.
"Well, since you want to paint over it, why don't you just try to paint your scene without caring if it's perfect. Just have fun. Be loose. Use colors you wouldn't think of normally. See what happens."

I took her advice and didn't worry about making it realistic. I let myself be inspired by Van Gogh and Picasso. I mixed fun colors on the buildings and sky, made quick expressive brush strokes for windows. And made swirly light effects.

I was in the free expression zone where I didn't allow myself to over think. Everyone in the class loved what I did. And, most importantly, I loved how the painting ended up. To me, that is the essence of success.

No comments: